An electrical fault is the suspected cause of a fire at a house near Spring Bank on Easter Sunday.
A fire engulfed a property in Hopwood Close, Hull, on Sunday afternoon and required significant emergency response to stop it spreading further before it was finally successfully extinguished. The fire caused no casualties.
Below is a summary of what is known about the fire and the emergency services response.
Read more: Fire service update on possible cause of blaze that destroyed Hull home
When and how did it start?
The fire broke out in the middle of the afternoon in the outbuildings of the house. The Humberside Fire and Rescue incident log says they were called in at 3.37pm.
The fire spread from a garage to a wooden outbuilding, adjacent fences and finally the house itself. A spokeswoman for Humberside Fire and Rescue told Hull Live on Monday the cause was “accidental ignition, possibly due to an electrical fault”.
How did Humberside Fire and Rescue prevent the fire from spreading?
Four fire engines rushed to the scene. The thickness of the smoke from the fire led residents to be temporarily asked to stay inside and close their windows.
Motorists were also urged to avoid the area in a social media post at 4:14 p.m. Firefighters confirmed on Sunday evening that they were working alongside police and council to deal with the situation.
A range of equipment was used by firefighters to fight the blaze. Six breathing apparatus, four hose reels and two short extension ladders were used, along with small tools. Two thermal cameras and drones were also used to monitor the possible spread of fire from the roof to adjacent buildings.
The most significant damage caused by the fire is on the side of the building twinned by a small alley. The calm weather and the gap between the alleys appear to have contributed to the successful efforts of the firefighters to limit the spread of the fire as much as possible.
What damage was caused by the fire?
Police and fire and rescue services confirmed that there were no casualties. Humberside Fire and Rescue’s incident log says: ‘All occupants were evacuated uninjured prior to the arrival of firefighters.’
The terrifying sight of the fire led a nearby neighbor to take drastic measures to save his pets from possible danger. Ellie Bell, 23, said she saw thick black smoke billowing from the property into the street and rushed to grab her dogs and cats. She went back inside to throw her gerbils out a window into her garden, moments before an explosion. All of her pets were successfully rescued.
Specialist fire investigators examined the site of the fire on Sunday evening. Humberside Fire & Rescue’s incident log details the damage: “Outbuildings and fences destroyed by fire.
A significant gap caused by the fire could be seen in the roof on Monday as charred wood indicated where the wooden outbuilding once stood. Barriers have been put in place to secure the undestroyed parts of the property.
A neighbor who regularly uses the adjacent lanes was visibly taken aback by the damage, calling it “crazy”, but expressed relief when told there were no casualties.